Every student should know how to write a thesis statement as it is the vital part of any academic assignment. It doesn’t matter whether you are writing an essay or a research paper, your work should contain the well-written statement. First of all, you should make sure that you understand what the term “thesis statement” means. The thesis is the position or statement that should be proved. The thesis of a report, article or other material should contain a set of separate provisions, logically related to each other. It is often assumed that their proof takes place in the main body of the paper.
The major goal of writing a thesis is to summarize the available material, to give its essence in brief formulations, to reveal the content of a relatively large volume of publication or report; deeply understand the question, analyze it and create the possibility of opposing one’s thoughts to the thoughts of others, or the addition of the latter. The statement shouldn’t be longer than one paragraph. Unsuccessfully written thesis can scare the reader away from interesting scientific work. Conversely, a successfully compiled text of thesis can draw attention to scientific material and to the speaker. Of course, in many respects the quality of the theses is determined by the real scientific content of the work, but it can either be spoiled or presented in the best possible way.
Depending on your thesis quality the readers will judge all the work in full, and make a decision on the need to get acquainted with the material. That’s why you should learn how to write an impressive statement able to hook the reader’s attention. Follow the tips, which will help you to craft a thesis statement that will perform its function.
Useful Tips for Writing a Great Thesis Statement
- You should remember that the statement must be placed immediately after the introduction.
- Assure that your statement is clean and concise.
- Write a thesis taking into account the type of the work you are going to write as different types of essay have a lot of distinctive features and goals that you should keep in mind.
- Research the topic before you write the thesis statement, otherwise, you will fail. If you haven’t conducted research of the topic and don’t have a clear picture of what you are going to write about, you aren’t recommended to start from the thesis writing. It is better to craft a paper first, and then compose a thesis if you don’t want to write a poor quality statement.
- To make the idea understandable to the reader, it is necessary to argue it, introduce the reader into the problem, and outline other aspects of the work.
What Should Be Included in Your Thesis Statement?
- The relevance of the topic.
- The purpose of the work ( the problem or the task).
- Review of existing points of view on the problem, or description of the situation in the subject area.
- Some of your own thoughts on this topic.
- Proposed studies (optional).
When writing a thesis statement, you should do your best to make it short and informative at the same time. A couple of sentences should include all major points that you are going to discuss in the paper as well as the brief introduction to the topic. Your task is to write an eye-catching thesis so that the reader would like to find out what your paper is going to be about.
The formula for the successful thesis consists of three main components: good grammar+ ability to introduce to the theme briefly+hooks able to attract attention of the reader. Pay attention to each point and you will be able to write a great statement. If you need to craft a statement for the research paper, you should do your best proving your standpoint. Make it clear why you think so and why the reader should listen to your arguments.
What is the connection between the paper type and the thesis writing?
The formulation of the thesis, of course, directly depends on the specifics of the topic. For example, if your topic contains a question, then your thesis should give an answer to it. In case your topic contains a statement, it is necessary to justify an already existing statement. You should finish the introductory part with questions, why so, and not otherwise. In the thesis part, you need to explain why this is so.
The standard formulation of the thesis presupposes a direct expression of the writer’s thoughts. However, if you want to be original, you can make a parallel with some life experience connected to the topic, which will let the reader understand the topic better. The most convenient and easy way is a question-answer course is to ask yourself a question and answer it.
This method is convenient as it allows you not to get lost in your thoughts. The main thing is that the thesis should be written in accordance with the paper topic. It should provide the reader with the clear understanding of the topic idea and the writer’s attitude to a certain problem.
If you take all above-mentioned tips into account, you are likely to compose a good thesis statement that will definitely attract the attention of the reader.